November 23, 2009

Can't Buy Me Glove

Last month, I received an email from a friend recommending that I buy a pair of Nike football gloves (he didn't specify the exact type). Yesterday afternoon, he told me a bit more about them as well as where I should find them. Armed with this information, I searched for them today - but my efforts turned out to be fruitless.

My first stop was the National Sports store at Yonge & Sheppard. Not only were the gloves not in stock, but the salespeople didn't seem to care about helping me with my purchase. After a few minutes of futilely looking at a few pairs, I walked out of the store without knowing where I'd go next. I eventually headed to SportChek's Eaton Centre location; even though a few pairs looked good, I ultimately decided that I wouldn't drop my cash here. After similar ventures to Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) and Europe Bound - Travel Outfitters, I ended up empty-handed (pardon my diction).

I obviously need my photography gloves to be warm and dexterous. My current gloves are pretty warm, but they're too bulky for me to easily fetch items like my wireless controller. Unfortunately, a less bulky pair may give me dexterity at the expense of warmth. One person at MEC went so far as to say that no one pair of gloves offers an optimal warmth/dexterity balance. She recommended that I buy a pair of liner gloves and slip my current gloves over them until I'm ready to shoot. I tried this method with a few pairs, but this proved to be nothing more than a pain in the neck.

My search is by no means over. If only I could talk to the hand(s)...

No comments:

Post a Comment