October 29, 2009

A Bucket Of Nerves

Many of us like to talk about achieving our goals and living our dreams - going out with the prettiest lady, landing a plum acting role or playing a championship game. We even like to imagine that we'll be happy beyond belief when we achieve those goals. However, when the opportunity for achievement finally arises, the resulting nervousness can drive even the most stoic people to the brink. Worse, the possible disappointment inspires many people to embrace mediocrity or sell themselves short.

I haven't reached the disappointment part, but the nervousness keenly made its presence known a few minutes before I started this entry. For the sake of professionalism, I won't get into the specifics. However, I will say that a previous photo shoot might have been the beginning of a good opportunity for me. It's funny...when I talked about the joy of taking photographs as opposed to sitting at a desk, I "forgot" about the possible setbacks. However, even with the possibility of failure, I'd still rather shoot 'em up.

Woody Allen once said, "Eighty percent of success is showing up." Wayne Gretzky once said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Michael Jordan once said, "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."

It's time for me to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment