December 18, 2009

Down With The Sickness

Yesterday morning, I woke up with a funny feeling in my stomach. It turned out to be the stomach flu, complete with an embarrassing case of diarrhea. If you've ever passed gas with a nice "surprise" at the end, you'll know why I used the word "embarrassing."

As I lay in bed this morning, I suddenly started thinking about the potential financial impact of a more serious sickness. Since I don't work for a company at the moment, my health care costs are being paid entirely out of my own pocket. This is something I'll have to get used to if my photoblogging gig takes off and becomes my sole source of income. I'm in pretty good health right now, but what if this were to change?

I've always known that self-employment isn't always what it's cracked up to be, but when the health angle is considered, a day job looks really attractive at the moment. By no means will I be looking at job ads just yet, but the last thing I want to think about is potential bankruptcy caused by a disease or something worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment