October 19, 2009

ProCREATION

This photography gig isn't my first creative outlet; as a matter of fact, creativity has been a part of my life for many years.

One of my significant endeavours was a comic strip called The Frying Pan. At first, I made fun of my then-current job as a games operator at Centreville, but I went on to use storylines based on, among other things, the world running out of Kraft Dinner. Looking back at my work, some of my jokes were just plain embarrasing. Perhaps people laughed at them because they were too kind to say "Give this up, Tsar" to my face.

Here are a few samples of my work. Click each picture to see a larger version.







As you can see, being a southpaw has its advantages. :-)

I also used to make drum 'n bass music as Charlie Van Pelt. I started by using free software called Buzz, but when I wanted to take my productions to the next level, FL Studio became my meal ticket. My absolute fondest memory is remixing Will Smith's "Party Starter" (from the Lost And Found album); his aggressive rapping in that song was my excuse to make a dancefloor-oriented jam, complete with heavy subbass. I submitted it for an unsigned producers' mix at Dogs On Acid; it didn't make the cut due to software issues on the DJ's side. Fortunately, "Depth Threats" (my backup submission) did make it.

I eventually killed these outlets due to circumstances or a loss of interest. I hope that doesn't happen this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment