October 06, 2009

Paying My Respects

Seeing that this is a blog about photography, it's only fair that I pay my respects to two of this year's Nobel Prize winners in Physics. Willard Boyle (a dual citizen of Canada and America) and George Smith co-invented the image sensor that led to the advent of digital imaging: the charge-coupled device. You might better know it as a CCD; to say that their invention has changed the world is probably an understatement. If you have a digital camera or camcorder, congratulations - you're a beneficiary of Boyle and Smith's work. I know I am; both of my cameras have a CCD sensor of some kind.

To the men who enabled me to steal time with such ease and pleasure: thank you.

Have a look at this article to find out more about this year's Nobel Prize winners in Physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment