September 02, 2009

What A Rush

For a number of reasons, covering the Darcy Allan Sheppard memorial this afternoon just might have been a turning point in my career as a photoblogger. Even though I wasn't working for any news agency, it felt good to be part of the media. One bonus which comes from carrying my new camera is the increase in perceived professionalism. I look a bit more serious about what I'm doing compared to someone armed with a point-and-shoot; it helps when you're rubbing shoulders with people like Stephanie Matteis and Francis D'Souza.

What really got me going, however, was the rush that came from attempting to keep up with the cyclists. As the rally moved from Bloor St. W. near Avenue Rd., I ran along with the rally and even got a few shots. By the time I got past Yonge St. and Wellesley, however, the pack moved on without me. I made a futile attempt to board the subway at College station, foolishly guessing that the rally would make a stop at Yonge-Dundas Square. After going one more stop south to Queen St. and walking one block east, I called the mission off; it was starting to resemble a losing game of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego.

I eventually found out that the moving rally ended up at Allan Gardens. Unfortunately, I was already home when I got that information. Nonetheless, I don't regret covering this event for one second, even though I had to carry my gym bag while doing so. Before today, I never felt an "on the job" rush like this one; I'll be sure to remember it for a long time.

*EDIT at 10:51 p.m.* The memorial ride which I thought ended up at Allan Gardens actually came back to Bloor St. and Avenue Rd. Darn it...going for the chase might have been my downfall this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment