September 08, 2009

Romans 8:28 (Or "From Epic Fail To Epic Win")

My photo shoot at Brazilian Day Canada didn't go as planned. To make a long story short, I underestimated Toronto's Brazilian community; I thought I could arrive at Yonge-Dundas Square one hour early and find a good spot to take photographs.

That didn't happen.

Even though I took nearly 150 photos, my positioning wasn't conducive to getting optimal photos. Also, the event was pretty much ruined by two young men in front of me who were acting like jerks - i.e. jumping on my shoes and not apologizing, or jumping up and down and blocking the view of a very short woman beside me. As a matter of fact, one had his head so far up his intestine that when I repeated "You're a jerk," he didn't realize that I was talking about him. That's probably why I'm still alive right now, but given my state of mind at the time, I would have went for the kill regardless.

When I saw an opportunity to leave, I seized it. Unfortunately, when I got to the Yonge-Dundas intersection, I realized that I lost my umbrella in the midst of the madness. Fortunately, H&M is nearby, so I bought one there (the one I lost was also from H&M). Thank God it fits in my camera bag.

Feeling crushed, I headed to Harbourfront Centre for the Hot & Spicy Food Festival and took some pictures there. One of them involved a Torontonian busker whom you probably wouldn't recognize without her costume. One more was requested by a group of five people; I used one of their cameras for the shot. (Side note: I thought the one on the right was really cute.)

Even with these photos, I still felt dejected on the trip home - and not even drowning my sorrows beforehand in a medium DQ Oreo Cookie Jar Blizzard seemed to help. Fortunately, an encouraging email reply from Linda Cara and my first comment here courtesy of Kristen Gale have helped tremendously with putting things in perspective.

When thinking of possible titles for this post, my favourite Bible verse came to mind - Romans 8:28.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to
them who are the called according to his purpose. (KJV)
What could have been a crappy ending to a crappy day has turned into further encouragement in my pursuit of a fulfilling vocation. Onward and upward!

*EDIT at 12:32 a.m.* I almost forgot to mention...on the ride home, I almost got a candid shot of a couple making out. Unfortunately, they stopped right before I hit the shutter button. :-\

No comments:

Post a Comment