September 28, 2009

Making Something Of My Life

I've been told that I think too much. Here's Exhibit A. :-P

I've previously thought about the fact that I haven't really done anything with my life thus far, and as I showered this morning, the same thought came to mind. Perhaps it's because I'm approaching thirty years on this planet, but as I get closer to this milestone birthday, taking stock makes sense.

My last job was nothing to write home about. To make a long story short, I was balancing internal bank accounts by updating spreadsheets, something far beneath my potential. As a matter of fact, I probably made more of an impact as a games operator at Centreville Amusement Park; at least I had face-to-face interaction with the people I was serving. Perhaps my income has taken a hit as a result of being unemployed, but at least I don't have to worry about being a cog in the modern machine for now. It's not that employment is the only area that's indicative of my lack of impact; romance is another significant one.

So how does all of this relate to putting a viewfinder in front of my left eye, pressing a button and repeating the process ad nauseam? At the very least, photography is something I love to do. Even if it doesn't lead me to bigger and better things (though I hope it does), it makes me happy. Period.

As Switchfoot says in one of their songs:
If we've only got one try
If we've only got one life
If time was never on our side
Then before I die, I want to burn out bright

No comments:

Post a Comment